On October 11, 2009, more than 200,000 people marched on Washington D.C. in the National Equality March with one single demand: Equal protection in all matters governed by civil law in all 50 states.
SHOW ME NO HATE helped organize a St. Louis 200+ contingent to the National Equality March, including raising the $6000 needed to charter a bus from Missouri to DC. We also helped connect folks to discounted train, plane and carpooling opportunities. It was a huge success for Missouri.
On May 22, 2010—the anniversary of Harvey Milk's birthday—SHOW ME NO HATE will take action again to demand full equality for all LGBTQ Missourians.
The International Day Against Homophobia, May 17, kicks off a week of local actions and on Harvey Milk's birthday, May 22, Equality Across America (EAA) is calling on all activists to converge in each of the 50 states for the Harvey Milk Day Action and SHOW ME NO HATE is answering the call with a series of events being organized in St. Louis.
SAVE THE DATE FOR HARVEY MILK on May 22, 2010, and help Missouri take action for full federal equality.
SHOW ME NO HATE is in the process of planning events throughout the Greater St. Louis and Metro East region. We are working with several local LGBTQ and straight ally leaders including the well respected leader, Bert Coleman. Please consider becoming involved with this great cause for Harvey Milk and our community.
Examples of what has been suggested for the week:
- Free public screenings of the Harvey Milk documentary
- Free public screenings of the Sean Penn film MILK
- A street fair in the Grove area
- Workshops for organizing in our community
- A March to the Arch for Harvey Milk fundraiser
- Community picnic for Harvey Milk in Forest Park
- A volunteer within our community effort
- Candlelight vigil downtown St. Louis
- An exhibit chronicling our local history and struggle for LGBT rights
- An art opening featuring local LGBTQ artists, past and present
- A community forum about the St. Louis LGBTQ issues
- Generation to generation: documenting stories from our LGBT elders
- LGBTQ opening and affirming religious interfaith service
If you are interested in helping organize events for the week, please contact Tiffany Parrett at email@example.com